Thursday, May 5, 2011

Over-and-Above-Whelmed, But It's All Good

Breathe in, deep cleansing breath, breathe out.  Now I need to repeat this twenty times so I can calm the freak down!

Things have been moving at the speed of light these past two weeks.  Launched a website with Amanda Abella, enrolled the Kiddo in the parochial school down the road (thank you generous people from church for shelling out 4K because my son makes you laugh), pounded out over 60 proposals in hopes of landing some writing gigs, engaged in a very productive speed networking session, like speed dating, only less sexual tension, but just as much nervousness.  (Seriously, re-reading the chat that Amanda and I had during the networking session made me laugh til I was gasping like a asthmatic). 

When I stop to think about the enormity of what has happened in these past 14 days, I get really freaked out.  I went from having nothing to do to not having enough time to do the stuff I need to do.  I need a personal assistant to wash the dishes and do the laundry because I haven't figured out the proper balance between my personal writing, my professional writings, and my home and family life.  Forget trying to develop a personal life.  That's been on hold for several years, and a few months more won't kill me.

Besides, with the Kiddo starting Kindergarten in the fall I'm sure I'll be meeting other mothers who might happen to have a single brother/friend/cousin that I would be perfect for.  I'm not really worried about a relationship happening or not happening in my life right now.  I'm content in being alone and I don't need the distraction of juggling another proverbial ball in the air.

Pictured: Not me.
One of the things that has been helping me to stay grounded this week has been taking up yoga again.  I am fortunate enough to be bartering services with Nancy of Sun and Moon Yoga of Dade City.  In exchange for running her website (haven't taken it over yet), the Kiddo and I are able to take as many yoga classes as we'd like each month.  I am really looking forward to getting back into the groove that yoga helps me achieve. 

When I was in my junior year of college, I struggled with many stressors in addition to a herniated lumbar disk.  More often than not I would find myself gasping for air as my heart raced and my thoughts spun out of control.  I had stopped eating and dropped down to unhealthy (and unnatural for me) size 6.  So when a professor who was really into natural healing suggested I take up the practice of yoga to repair the damage done to my back, I was eager to try anything.  So I yogaed my way out of that stressful time in my life to the tunes of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory. 

What?

I couldn't find my zen in trickling waters (made me want to pee), chiming bells (kept thinking of Christmas nutcrackers), or animal forest sounds (I kept expecting bugs to crawl on my legs).  So Linkin Park helped me work through my anger and the yoga calmed my body.  It was a great combo.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off write a half dozen more articles.