Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'm Not Down on Love, But I Abhore Valentine's Day

I make no bones about being unlucky in love making piss poor choices in men.  I've had my heart stomped on a good three times, but yet I still believe in love.  Despite listening to more than enough angry, depressing, had-my-life-shattered-by-you songs (yes, thank you Breaking Benjamin for being the soundtrack to my last relationship.  I can't hear the opening chords of any of your depressing-ass songs without becoming physically repulsed) I am still optimistic.

I'll admit it took me a good 2 years of Disturbed, Eminem, Framing Hanley, Ludacris,and Linkin Park (except their latest album which all I can say is ewww.  The edge is gone since they've all sobered/dried up.  But that's a good thing for them, just not their music) to get over my hurt.  Recently my mellowed music selections include plenty of Mozart, Beethoven, Jack Johnson's Brushfire Fairytales, Louis Armstrong, Weezer and these two bands:




When I hear either of these songs, I'm encouraged to believe that there is someone out there who is looking for someone like me.  I tell myself that I am a good person, full of life, love, and energy, but the right one to share that with hasn't come along yet, but he will some day.  While it might be 20 years from now, somewhere a complimentary awaits me.  I'll still hold on to hope.

So when I say emphatically that I. HATE. VALENTINE'S. DAY. it's not because I am a warped, twisted hag.  What I hate is that right after Christmas, Hallmark and De Beers become street level drug love pushers.  One day has been singled out of the entire years to make a grand romantic gesture to prove that you really love the person you are with.  And heaven help you if you don't come through.  Some people view Valentine's Day as the make-or-break test of their relationship.     

I say to hell with it.  If you are with someone who can't or doesn't chose to express their love for you in any manner outside of the holidays, than maybe you're with the wrong person.  I'd rather receive a hand full of midday-heat wilting wildflowers in the middle of July or a pine cone in early November, than overpriced roses on Valentine's Day.  I want to know everyday that I am loved, not just on February 14th.

But I'll still eat the chocolate.      

PS--This is post 3 in my 21 days bet, so I'm still winning.  I've been at this for more than 30 minutes like the bet originally was set at but that's my fault.  When you get on YouTube, it sucks you in like a black star.

PSsquared--I'm suggesting if you'd like a better understand my true feelings for Valentine's Day, go to YouTube and search for Non-Holiday Special: Foamy the Squirrel.  I warn however, that if your sense of humor/propriety maybe far different than mine, you don't want to go there.  Foamy is a foul-mouthed critic.  The V-Day rant begins at 1:12 of 2:30.