Monday, February 28, 2011

Not a MommyBlogger, But a Blogger Who Is a Mom

When I first began writing I set rigid mental parameters for myself.  I didn't want to pigeon-hole myself into the MommyBlogger corner, where I wrote about nothing more than my child, his antics, and the latest reviews on trendy children's toys. 

I feared that if I wrote about my son that this would become a bore, something that would interest no one.  I was determined to draw an audience that would enjoy my snark on daily occurrences,  I made it a point to NOT write about him in the beginning because I wanted to be thought of as a writer, not a mother who happens to write.  I wanted to capture a large audience to satisfy the ego and convince myself that I had some writing chops.  I wanted to be validated for no other reason that I didn't believe that I had any real talent unless someone were to tell me.  Basically, I was trying to do what I've done most of my adult life: do what I believe others will enjoy/want, while I know that I am not being 100% myself.

But I've come to realize that my son is THE reason I write and I would be remiss if I didn't write about him every now and then.  So I am mentally sweeping away those ridiculous parameters and will write what I want to write about, when I want to write about.  And audience interest be damned.